Aspiring author climbing her way out of the slushpile.

A woman made of prose and poem seeking the keys to publication.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Often rejected....but not dejected

Well my middle-grade manuscript, The Strange World of Neve Rimbel has received a slew of rejections. More than 30. Most just are curt (sorry not for us). Or its not right for our list. My most recent rejection had an explanation attached to it. She liked my concept, and opening pages. But she wasn't in love with the writing itself. She found my middle-grade voice uneven and my length a bit short. My novel is 19,037 words. But the Literary Marketplace states that MG fiction lengths can be from 20,000 plus. So I'm not that far off.

I know most books on the market are as thick as the Bible but I've seen a few slimmer ones, like the Spiderwick Chronicles, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I haven't been told before that my MG voice was uneven (but then again all the others just say they'll pass). I have been told by another agent that my concept was original with interesting characters. But of course she passed on it. Maybe it's the character's voice. GREAT. Now I'm questioning Neve Rimbel's voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment